söndag 30 augusti 2020

Abaddon the Despolier

Finished Abaddon and I am really happy with how he turned out. The over all palette is more muted and dark compared to the box art which really suits the model. I removed the burning torch as I realized that as the model is so dark, the bright flames stole to much focus from the rest, just leaving it as a black backdrop. The added skulls really pops, but still is inline with the rest of the base.

Hope you also like him.

I also brought out my old Abaddon model that I painted some 20 years ago. 

söndag 23 augusti 2020

Abaddon WIP

This week I finally got some hobby time. I tried to work a bit on my Dominus knight but I was not in the mode for GS so it sort of stalled out. Instead I started work on Abaddon. I have had the model for some time now but have not been feeling the inspiration to paint him. But after finish the Triumph of Saint Katerine and the black green armor there I felt that it might try it on a larger scale.

I build the model as standard, only adding some extra skulls to the front of the base. Then I set about painting the armor. I did my standard recipe for metallic armor starting a black base coat, and dry-brushing bronze and three layers of silver metal. Then I washed the model in green ink and repeated the dry-brush befor a final wash of black. I also opted to paint the underlying parts as rusted as I thought that Abaddon eats, sleeps and make war in his armor and hence the inner parts would not get cleaned very often... and it looked great...  but it did not read Abaddon, just some rusted guy with black/green armor plates...   I took some test photos just to see what it look like and realized the the metallic plates look almost silver... so in the end I had something more like Perturabo than Abaddon. And even if the model had turned out ok I decided to lose the rust underneath and darken the plates significantly.

Now I just need to finish of all the small details and the cloak. But I think he is coming along even if a lot of the initial work is no longer visible.

måndag 17 augusti 2020

The Triumph of Saint Katherine

This vacation has really not been about hobby time. Instead all my time has been spent digging in the garden and barbecuing. So that means I do not have that much to show, as I really have not done anything new. But I will show you the assembled Triumph of Saint Katherine. All parts have been shown individually but here they are all together.

This is my fist "diorama-type" model from GW that I paint and I must say as a collector that I really like these types of models, so I will have to get me some more. All in all it was a nice model to paint and I was easy to do it in parts and then assemble it all at the end. Compared to the box art I have used a darker palette with less white and a deeper crimson. That combined with the bird of prey wings on the cherubs make it a bit darker. I am happy with the result. Next up for the sisters will be a penitent engine...  just need to finish it up with some green stuff.

I have also finished of two more Armigers for the Northern Knights... but that will be a separate post as I need to spread out my results until I can pick up the pace again.