Well, that went quick. This morning I got an urge to try out the desert paint scheme for my Scions that I started building some weeks ago. So I set about to do five in parallel (which is something I never do) and a few hours later they were done. I tried out a new way of painting which turned out to work very well with this almost monochrome scheme. Instead of doing all the colour fields sequentially I decided to try to do them in parallel.
I started out with a very rough base paint were I filled out all the major colours and added some details. Then I washed the whole model and started dry-brushing up form the darkest to the lightest colour, moving between areas all over the entire model. This way I did not really have to care to much about "overspray". After two rounds of this I added some details and added in some greens on grenades etc. I am quite pleased with how they turned out. Apart form sculpting on legs pockets and some chest pouches I smacked on all the small bits and accessories I could find on the frames to make these look more like some spearhead special forces rather than armoured chock troops. I opted for the beret heads instead of the helmeted ones to reinforce the special forces vibe. I will use the helmets for the bikes and top gunners on the vehicles.
Staff Sergeant James Bradley