fredag 4 januari 2019

Varangian's back is done

Christmas vacation is almost gone and I am done with Varangian's back. It has been an absolute paint to paint, it is large, heavy and full of small pointy green stuff horns that break easily. It is also a lot of detail on the inside of the ridges that are hard to get to with a brush. I know I have said it before and I will say it again, how can people paint this fully assembled?

All in all I am happy with the result. Perhaps not as clean as I would have thought but still ok. The intake cowls are now attached, at least temporarily. I might go back and to a more proper joint later on when I have rested a bit from this. I think it looks nice, a bit chaosy but not to much. I am glad that I listened to advice and skipped the rib cages. I am not sure that the lighter green on the ridges go to well together with the spine, to much of the same color to give a good contrast. We will see what it looks like once I get the void shield projectors done. I will probably make them also as bone to tie in with the spine.

As a small side project I also painted up one of the two chains that I 3D printed. The picture is a bit dark but I think it works. I ended up mounting them lower than I had planed so that the center would not cover up the emblem I sculpted on the armor. This leaves the old attachment points visible so I might remove them later on to tidy things up a bit.

When attaching the lid to the top I find it hard to get it all the way down now. It might bee that something on the inside it hitting something or it might be that the paint has added enough extra material to make it stick. I will have to look in to it later as I need to take the whole upper body of to do that.

Varangian is taking shape. Now I just have to finish the GS sculpting on the claw and the volcano cannon and start with the assembly of the shoulder weapons. Who knows, 2019 might be the year I finish this model.

3 kommentarer: