söndag 17 mars 2019

Basing random models


Once in a while I gather up all the models I have painted for the last month or year and head out into the garage for some basing. As those who have followed this blog for some time know, I am not a great fan of bases. Usually I just ad some PVA to the bases and tip them in a bowl of gravel and that is it. The base should not take over the model. On the other hand I have started to work more with the bases lately, at least for the larger models. I they are done right, they can add to the model. My greatest objection to the scenic base is if the model is used for gaming as it detracts from the experience if the hero glides around the battle field on top of an vanquished enemy. But since I have realized that I most likely will not play with these models I can perhaps bend my rules a little. Well that will have to be for some other time, as these got the normal tread mend with PVA and sand.

Here follows some examples of what I have done.

A couple of weeks ago I bought some Harpies from RagingHeroes. I was not sure about the paint scheme but I carried on with what I had at the time. Adding some leather wrist wrappings and some bone edges to the wings really toned down the very blue skin and completed the model. Now I am quite happy with them. My wife thinks that they are a bit over sexualized but I think they fit in with Slaanesh and the old Deamonettes.



I also finished the last of my Vorax robots so the family is now complete. I really like these models. They are a pain to assemble but they do look so cool once painted.





Next up is a Custodian Warden that I got from my wife for Christmas. There are still four more to go and then I also have Trajann Valoris, which I am looking forward to paint.


Last of the new models is a Pre-heresy Dark Angel terminator. Not much to say about it. It is the same precipice that I have for all my black dark angels. I which I had more time and skill at batch painting as there is a tone of Dark Angels just waiting for paint in my storage.



Then we have some models that have already been featured on this blog but I show them anyway with their new bases.

First we have a Tzeentch sorcerer on a flying disc. Here the multi colored metallics can clearly be seen. This is an effect I am very happy with. Still have two more sorcerers in the box. I will save them as a treat for a rainy day.


And lastly my Ultra marine sergeant. I do love that this blue is almost black. Next to my Pre-Heresy dark angels in natural light there is almost no difference. But one you put some moderate light on him he shines up in a clear steel blue. Much nicer than the smurf blue and much easier to paint.



Well that is it. I actually based quite a lot more models that I had just put in the cabinets as I finished the model. I am also working on the last panels with GS on Varangian so I will come back with a separate post on that. Not much left now, I can see the light in the end of the tunnel.


4 kommentarer:

  1. Have you ever considered just painting the bases first? I always hated bases too, it was that boring job at the end. So then I flipped it, do all my bases first and get it out of the way.

    I'm much more likely to ruin my finished model if I paint the base last too. By doing the base first I can drybrush with ease and not spoil it and it always feels like I have a headstart, that it's not a 'blank canvas' and as daunting.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes, I am trying to do that now for the larger models, that I anyway paint separate from the base. I am however not sure that my splash on paint painting technique would work with the base already painted. Risk is I would have to repaint it anyway. But it could be worth a try.

      Radera
  2. Those vorax are things of beauty.

    I like the harpies too, of course.

    But damn those robots are sweet.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I like the look of the Voraxes but I am not a great fan of the models, to fiddly to assemble and a bit restricted in the build options.

      Radera