söndag 29 oktober 2017

Mortrion, reaper primarch of the Death Guard


Finally finished Mortarion. This model was interesting to paint. There are so many details and a lot of them are hidden behind other parts so you have to paint it un-assembled to get to all of them, or at lest I had to do so. I think the color scheme also worked out. I tried to keep him a bit more muted than the GW paint job. This helps with the realism. I think that since the models (nurgle, death guard) are sculpted with all these tentacles, etc a bright paint job only enhances the cartoonishness of the models. I still maintain that the sculptors should leave the, smoke, flames etc as optional for the models. It is hard with a realistic style of painting when there are fake effects on the model. All the little demons were a pain to paint, very small, and lots of detail and skin tones to paint. And handling the model during assembly and afterwards is tricky to say the least. I have no idea how people are going to transport and play with this with out breaking thing off.
This is not a problem for me as this will go into the display cabinet and probably stay there.

2 kommentarer:

  1. I hear what you say about the modelled on flames and smoke. For mediocre painters like me, they scare me from buying the model in the first place.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Yes, it would for me to. Even though I can make it look ok, it is far from realistic and that takes away the whole illusion of a real world representation from the model, and I don't see why they can't be optional. At lest some of them were on Mortarion but not all.

    SvaraRadera