måndag 10 mars 2014

What went wrong...

...with the imperial Knight kit?





As I mentioned in my last post I started seeing some odd things when I build my Imperial knight. First I noticed that the frames, at least in my box, did not completely fill the box. It looked at bit strange to have so much empty space in the box. Then I saw these internal fittings on the upper body side panels that are not really used for anything and I cant see that they would be needed in the casting process. This in combination with the open driver door made me think that there might have been some work on an interior. The model in itself is on par with the Forge world titans in detail so it would have been reasonable to have some commander sitting inside.
Then today I got around to building the arms and realised that the arms attach with a bajonet fitting, so they are removable. Well not quite. If you glue in the shoulder guards they are almost removable (you need to open up the slots in the arms to adjust the angle at which they are removable). This makes it look that someone at some point thought that switching weapons might be needed... . Then you have the codex, which I have not read, that only contains the same things as was in the white dwarf, i.e. the paladin and the errant. It is mentioned that if you play them as an army you need to designate a warlord but you do not have any FOC or models to cover a specified lord with out conversions. Added to this you have the companion with a lot of info, have not read that either. This also makes it look like they had a lot of information that they decided not to put into the regular codex for some reason. Looking at the price of the companion one might conclude that it was not feasible to charge that much for a codex and only have rules for two models.

Addition!!!
When I surfed the net after this post I came across some other post with similar thoughts. There it was also pointed out that there is a mounting hole behind the pilots hatch that is not used now that could be for mounting some weapons on the back carapace.
end!!!

All in all it makes it appear that something went wrong in the process with the knights. The kit looks like it has been designed for more variants and greater flexibility in different builds. The books also looks like they where made to be a larger full codex and was subsequently split due to the lack of rules...

Well this is all speculation and which full thinking on my part and it is most probably nothing. It is a great kit but it could have been so much more with just a few more frames in the box like the baneblade...

They could also have copied the FW Reaver leg assembly to make it more posable.

It is still the best kit by GW so far. The detail is amazing and I do look forward to painting it.

Apart from coming up with conspiracy theories I have now built most of the Knight. I am holding of on the last details like purity seats, hand holds and rails until I am done with the GS.

3 kommentarer:

  1. Something else I've noticed - the Knight should have a 'Power Gauntlet' and 'Power Lance' instead of the chainsword and both are missing 'Shock Lances'.

    Its obvious that they cut planned content for this release - probably because they couldn't get the model made at the price-point they wanted with the cockpit and other options added in.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Uh, that should be the Knight *Errant* should have a 'Power Gauntlet' . . .

      Radera
  2. It is a bit strange though as they sell the Lord of Skulls for not that much more and it contains 6 full frames, the Bane blade also has more and larger frames to a lower cost. So plastic wise it does not make sense. Only if they saw the development cost get out of hand it would make sense, or that they wanted to test the market with a reduced kit and then follow up with a more expensive one with the rest of the frames added in.

    SvaraRadera