tisdag 27 september 2016
Well that is what it is. It will be better next time.
When it comes to the over all pose I am happy with the leg conversion. Just turning the joints at the hips upside down worked well. There where some issues with the pistons and cables, and there was absolutely no room for the banner but it gives the knight a different look, taking it away from the standard model. I think it looks more like the FW knights as the gate is more natural and it also give the knight a more menacing look.The addition of chains to the underside of the shoulder guard also worked out fine. I am however not to sold on the arcs with the spikes. I thin k the work on the shoulders and legs but the set on the hips really interferes with the torso. In a way that is good as it prevents the top form falling of due the imbalance caused by the shield. Which by the way is magnetized as I did not know if it would look to much out of place. The tentacles hanging from the back are also a bit out of place, and attaching them to the exhaust stacks were not such a good idea as it made the it hard to get them into the right place which in turn makes it hard to mount and remove the back carapace. The halberd sword turned out great and I think it was a good idea not to have two of them as I initially planed. Once again it could have been made neater, and I might have to remount the back balance as it is a bit squired.
With some hind sight I might have done somethings differently but over all I think it will make a worth addition to the Northern Ghosts, or the Legio Umbra Borealis.
söndag 25 september 2016
Almost there, there is not much left now on this close combat knight. All in all I am happy with the result. The shield is not as good as it could have been, but with paint is it looking better. I am tempted to switch to 3D printing instead of building stuff my self, as it will look more symmetric and generally more professional, It will however remove the hands on creative process in building stuff, and if I don´t practice I will not get better. And in the end I am just doing this for my self so the process of building and painting and in the end knowing that I did it all my self, is the real treat. And if someone else get inspired or enjoy the things I do, so much the better.
I will be back with pictures of the finished model shortly.
söndag 4 september 2016
I have not had to much time work on the Varangian these last weeks so this will just be an update on the CCW knight. What I have done is mostly to paint the armor plating for the body and legs. They are not large pieces but they take time as there are a lot of filed that require many layers of paint. I am sticking to the green layout with blue and white striped field, were the blue/withes are flaking of, leaving the green beneath to show. I have also tried to work in the maniple/legion insignia on the carapace and shoulders. All in all it is starting to look nice, not the best paint job I have done, but under the circumstances I am happy. Next up will be the weapons.
söndag 21 augusti 2016
Not much to say really. I am working with the assembly of the Varangian torso at the same time that I am painting on the CCW knight. Painting is more or less my standard recipe now, so it is just going through the motion.
torsdag 18 augusti 2016
Things are moving, both on the Varangian as well as on the CCW knight. As I did not come up with any thing that needed fixing at the bottom of the Warlord torso I decided to go ahead and start gluing. With the amount of dry-fitting I have done I thought that I knew how to assemble it. So I decided to start with the back wall and get everything centered. Bad Idea. once it is there you cant mount the sides, luckily I noticed this before leaving everything to dry. So I went a head and glued in the side pieces also, and to get the right spacing I also put in the front piece, and then suddenly I had the whole bottom part of the torso glued. I tried to use clamps to hold everything together but in the end I ended up wrapping it with rubber bands. Now I will glue the back piece in and the side walls. Then I can finish the inside build and start with detailing, both on the inside and outside.
And sometimes I do not know why I paint some of the things I do, I mean the whole inside of the knight will not be seen unless I take it a part (but that was also part of the modeling experience). So all the hazard stripes etc is a bit over kill, but I can still justify it a bit as the top carapace can be removed also for exhibition purposes. But then we have things like the numbers on the sides of the turbines, they will never be seen again once these go into the knight, so why paint them?
söndag 14 augusti 2016
Slowly but steadily the insides of the Varangian are taking shape. I have added some more detail to the bottom parts, including the doors that I had to custom make. I also worked on the upper side panels, adding the niches for the weapon servitors. I think I have now come as far as I can without gluing the torso together, but I will let it rest a day or two until I do that so that I am sure I do not need to make any measurements or so at the bottom. Once the torso is glued together I can start to make the final adjustments to the panels, making cut outs etc to fit more snugly. Once that is done I will make the reactors, which is just in mock up in the pictures at the moment. Then I think I will be done with the major build for the inside and I can start with detailing, which hopefully will not be to much since I used as much of the terrain kit as possible. I am very happy with the progress and even if it is not exactly as I had planed it I think it is shaping up nicely.