fredag 21 april 2017
Finished the disk for my Easter egg Ahirman. I really like this model apart from a few practical and aesthetic things. First of I don't like when they add things like smoke, magical effects, flames etc to the models. These things are hard to paint in a realistic way as they would need, in most cases, to be semi transparent, which they for natural reasons are not. I which they would add al these things as add-ons that are optional for the model. Second thing is an inevitable point of 3D CAD sculpting vs plastic castings. When they do large flowing objects like robes and capes etc. it might look fabulous in the CAD model but once you cut it up for casting it happens, like on this model that it turns out you need to cut pieces of the cape of to be able to cast it and then glue the pieces back together afterwards. This means that you need to green stuff the glued together pieces if you do not want edges in your large fabrics, which might be hard to do. In this case I must admit that I was lazy and just glued the model together and painted it, which means there are some unseemly seams to be seen. But apart from this the sculpt is really nice and there are tons of detail that does not really need to be "painted in" but shows up with some basic contrast in the color. So, even if I think the sculptors really should think more about the casting when sculpting I still enjoy this new era of plastic highly detailed quality models. In fact it might even come to a point when the models are to detailed so that it takes to long to paint them to actually make an army of many models. But that is a luxury problem that I will gladly live with.
måndag 17 april 2017
So its been Easter. I managed to take some time off from work last week and set about working on some things needed for the house. These are things I have been postponing for close to a year now so it was time. This meant that I did not have much time to paint anything as most my time was taken be house work. Then, just before this weekend I got an Easter egg from my wife. In it was a lot of small plastic pieces and some heart shaped chocolate. After an initial survey I concluded that Ahriman was hiding in the egg, and as I had finished most of the things with the house that I set out to do I treated myself to some hobby time over the holidays. I am not quite done with him yet as I still need to finish the flying disc, but I thought I would show some WIP pictures. I decided to do him in a similar fashion to Magnus, with the multi color metals and pastel cloak instead of the blue armor of the original. I think it turned out ok, some of the colors are not as I intended as I realized a lot of my paints as gone bad and does not behave as they should. Hopefully I can finish him in the days to come.