Life caught up with me. I know it would sooner or later. Things could not last and I have to realize that things will go slightly slower from here on. But to be honest I was a bit surprised about the pace of this project. But now its been two weeks since last and I have not done that much painting. The other day I did the metallic borders on one of the Reaver feet and it took me three evenings to finish. I cant remember that its taken that long to do before, or I did not notice? I have however made some progress with the green stuff. This is the grate thing about this project, I can switch between all manner of task, painting, sculpting and assembly.
My idea with this trio of titans is that they are new converts to the ruinous powers and as such has not fully mutated to the true chaos look. But the FW models are a bit to "pure", they have the chaos iconography but it is not a full chaos mutation. In-between the chaos icons unblemished armor is visible. On the imperial titans these areas are covered with imperial insignia. If the titans are newly converted there should still be some imperial signs left, unless someone has taken a plasma torch to them and removed them from the titans.
With this in mind I decided that I would ad some imperial eagles and mechanicum cog-skulls to the empty armor plates in-between the chaos icons, or beneath them. The first ones I did on the warhound leg armors was free handed and the result was, well individual. After some thinking a came to the conclusion that first drawing a outline on the pace would help me get the green stuff to the right shape. However once again the pattern was fee hand and a bit unsymmetrical. Then I got the idea to use paper cut outs as patterns and then copying them on to the armor. This was then used to ad some imperial icons beneath the chaos icons, leaving cracks and missing parts where the chaos growth had forced their way through the imperial ones.
Once I got around to the Reaver I added the same marks to the armor using the same templates as on the warhounds but I did not get around to add the green stuff. So the Reaver just sat around while I painted its legs. Then I got the idea to make some alterations to the Rever head. It already has a quite evil look, a bit more sinister then the imperial counterpart, but it still has a lot of flat surfaces. So I wanted to ad a bit more of a skull look since they will be painted in the same bone color as I already painted Unbearable Desires skull in. This took me some more time than i thought it would as I could not get it to the shape I wanted. I am reasonably pleased with it but I might ad some more stuff later on, but it will do for now. Now I also have started with other imperial icons on the rest of the armor plates. I also when t back to the foot and leg armor and added a cog-skull on the leg, split between the three armor plates below the knee. But since I have started to paint the foot and the lower armor this meant that I had to sculpt over the paint. I hope things will not start falling of. I know this is not the way to do things but I did not want to repaint the foot. This might be something that comes back to hunt me later on, but I do not want to lose to much momentum with this project. There is enough temptations as it is and I do not need to ad a reason to switch focus.
Speaking of distractions, as I had my birthday the other week end I treated myself to a present in the form of a defiler and a sentinel. These two kits will be joined together into a knight. I will not model it after one of the known night models used in the epic game since I can not reproduce the look. It will however be interesting to build. I have seen a lot of different versions of these conversions on the net but I will try to put my own twist on it. I will ad a new topic for this once I get going. So this will be it for now.